Friday, March 12, 2010

The Growing Stage: Patience


I believe that there are several characteristics you need to have in order to achieve a talent. My blog is based on piano as that is my talent so everything I will tell you, is for piano but I'm sure you can apply it to other instruments.
The first thing you need to have is:
Patience: Patience is a virtue that not everyone has. Learning the piano for me is sometimes very frustrating. You are learning a new piece; you keep getting stuck or you keep hitting the wrong notes. You need to have the patience to keep on. I do suggest taking breaks instead of going a whole hour of practice. Instead, you should practice in segments of about 20-25 minutes long. As soon as you get frustrated beyond a turning point, I suggest you shut the piano lid and walk away. When you have more 'strength', you should go back. Another thing I suggest is that if you are going to learn a new song, stick with it even if it become tiring to play. I would play the same song over and over until I could play it flawlessly. It gives you an awesome feeling of satisfaction knowing that you accomplished yet another piece. If you learn to play another song that will be a bumpy road ahead, I suggest that you divide practicing time with a couple easy songs. If you play an advanced song and keep getting knocked into road blocks, you need to have a distraction to keep your mind from bouncing of the keys. That's why I suggest also learning to play simple, easy but all the same challenging songs.
Classical music to me is some of the hardest to learn. You have to be very 'flexible' to say. You will need to be able to run your fingers all through the notes and play flawlessly.
For myself, I enjoy listening to classical pieces but prefer not to learn them myself. As a advanced beginner, I'll just stick to simple songs. One of my quotes that I happened to adapt from my former piano teacher is, Challenge yourself. Keep challenging yourself to learn the songs that are....umm, I don't think I could ever play that song. Never say "never" cause believe me, it'll bite your butt off later.
I'll be writing more characteristics I believe you need to have to conquer the Piano. Just to let you know, everything thing that I will be writing will be from me unless I noted otherwise. Follow Blossoming Talent for I'll be writing more things to come that I'm sure you'd want to read. Comments are greatly appreciated also. If you believe, or think otherwise please let me know for I'd love to hear other peoples opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment